Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guest Post: Sphere of Influence

So as I finished the Bieber movie I had the realization that I have done nothing with my life.

Before you invalidate that statement with your supportive comments, just go with me on it, ok?

How many famous people can you count? There are historical figures, and current celebrities, and people who've made great advances, and even small stories that make the news and lots of people here about. For good or ill, there are a lot of people who've made a big difference in this world. Even JB has made difference. (link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/06/justin-bieber-visits-7-year-old-cancer-patient-utah-hospital_n_2421604.html)

So what in the world am I doing and what should I do? How can I make a difference in someone's life in a big enough way? Aren't we here to help one another? Are not all people of infinite worth? Are others not as deserving as myself? Don't give me the platitudes about "In the world you might just be one person, but to one person you might be the world' or tell me about making a difference to star fish. Let's be real, dude. The facts are these: the world is full of problems and I have something the world needs but it's not enough and that's discouraging.

For example, I was at Dollywood of all places. That week was the Festival of Nations which meant that performers from all over the world were there to feature their countries. There were German stilt polka dancers (talk about a niche job) and some cafe singers from France and mariachis and this kid's singing group from Namibia. That singing group was adorable and sooo good. Then we learned that all of these adorable kids were orphans who's parents had died or abandoned them and the kids were traveling on behalf of their orphanage raising money. Oh, and they only get chicken on Christmas. Talk about ripping my heart out. You can come live with me and I will be your mother and I will give you everything (and all you have to do is give up your culture and everything you know and there will be chicken everyday!). I wanted to save them all. I want to save everyone. Paralyzing and frustrating.

A few days after Dollywood I was in Atlanta touring all the MLK sites and keeping the Namibian children in the back of my mind at all times. At the museum I read about an experience from Dr King during his time in Birmingham, leading the bus boycotts. Dr. King was a preacher from Atlanta. He was asked to lead out in Birmingham because the pastors there, if the boycott didn't work, had too much to lose. Dr King, well he could just go back to Atlanta. So he moved his family there. One night he got a phone call from someone calling him horrible names and threatening him that if he went through with all of it, he'd regret it. Dr. King was understandably upset and couldn't sleep. He went to the kitchen of his house and brainstormed ways that he could exit leadership without seeming like a coward. He was discouraged and depressed (which is a point I think every great leader overcomes because every leader has that moment). Then he began to feel God's presence and a voice seemed to tell him that he had to stand up for righteousness and do God's work. He went forward. A few days later his house was bombed.

Amazing story, no? He was so dedicated to a cause, a mission, that he eventually gave his life for it. To be so influential and make such an impact! *Sigh* Um.... something I noticed however - Dr King did absolutely nothing for orphans in Namibia.

What? Yes. I must point out that Dr King did a great work but, um, he left some people out. He did nothing for Jews in pograms, nothing for the foster care system, nothing for oppression in South America, nothing against the Taliban, nothing for Cubans.

Ok, ok, so you can't save everyone, but who do you save when all are such worthy causes? How do you decide that the orphans get my attention but I'll forget about oppressive political systems.

A few days later I was talking to a friend who lives in Denver. He was telling me how he'd taken a homeless man to dinner and then decided to pay for this man's cell phone. I found the story sweet but thought to myself, "You can't go around doing that. I mean, you can't just do dinner and cell phones for every homeless person." And I'd be right. It'd be unsustainable.

A few days later (am I reinforcing the principle of "line upon line" enough?) I got an email at work about a former coworker who now has stage 4 cancer and there would be a fundraiser held for him. The email invited me to the fundraiser and/or to donate to his care. I seriously had the thought, "I can't just give money to everyone who has cancer!" And I'd be right. Then a still small voice pointed out that the platitudes are right. I can't help every star fish/cancer patient, but I could help this one.

Let's consider this poem quoted by President Thomas S Monson.

Father, where shall I work today?
And my love flowed warm and free.
Then He pointed out a tiny spot
And said, “Tend that for me.”
I answered quickly, “Oh no; not that!
Why, no one would ever see,
No matter how well my work was done;
Not that little place for me.”
And the word He spoke, it was not stern;
He answered me tenderly:
“Ah, little one, search that heart of thine.
Art thou working for them or for me?
Nazareth was a little place,
And so was Galilee.”
 
The thing is that I can't do and be everything for everyone, but I can do something for some people. And who should those people be? Whomever the Lord puts in my path - a coworker, a client, a friend, the homeless made, the city of Birmingham. Even Jesus Christ, who literally saved the word, had a relatively small sphere of influence during his short life. Am I greater than He?
So I'm donating to the coworker, I'm visiting teaching, I'm kind to those with whom I work, and I look for chances to make a difference. And I believe the Lord will put me where he wants me so that, on some scale, I can make a MLK difference in my our sphere of influence.

Can I beg you to read just a little more?

Ok, so I've established that we all have spheres of influence. And you are hopefully looking at your life and going, "OK, this is 'tiny spot.'" I'd like to proposed however, that in a lifetime we maybe have many "spots," that our spheres change from time to time.

Consider this from Elder Uchtdorf (link: http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/general-young-women-meeting/2013/03/your-wonderful-journey-home?lang=eng)
 
"I can now look back on my life and recognize a number of such “journeys” I have taken over time. Not all of them involved crossing mountain ranges or political boundaries; some had more to do with overcoming trials or growing in spirituality. But they were all journeys. I believe that every life is a collection of individual “journey stories.”

I submit for ratification the idea that our spheres are little journeys. So for right now you spheres is what it is, but later it might be different. Julia Child was essentially a spy before she ever became a chef. We may end up with one great "sphere" but we'll at least have many sphere-journeys along the way.  



So enjoy this journey of influence and the next one. And know that you God will put you in the path of those whom you can best influence - that's your mission, should you choose to accept it. I hope the Biebs is enjoying his.
 
-Megan
 
  Martin Luther King Jr Memorial in Atlanta Georgia

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I needed this today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks. I needed this today, too. (Also, I'm pretty sure I took that photo.)

    ReplyDelete