Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Fringe Benefits of Failure

I love this. J.K. Rowling gave this Harvard Commencement speech in 2008. I certainly can't say it any better than she did, but I can say that I have found this to be entirely true:

"Failure gave me an inner security that I have never attained by passing examinations. Failure taught me things about myself that I could have learned no other way. I discovered that I had a strong will and more discipline than I had suspected. I also found out that I had friends whose value was truly above the price of rubies. The knowledge that you have emerged stronger and wiser from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself or the strength your relationships until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift."

There is something incredibly powerful about failing to the point that you should not be able to go on - and coming out of it and living through it. There is something about finding and experiencing  (finally!) the understanding that you are a resilient, brilliant, and cherished child of a Father in Heaven who knows you, loves you, and watches over you. That He really does (surprise!) have a plan for you. He really does know what you need - and what you can handle.  He loves you - just as you are, weaknesses and failures and all. Because all is what he sees. He sees you yesterday, today, and forever - and the weaknesses are swallowed up in the grandeur of what they will become. Which is you.  

So, here's to weakness, here's to failure, here's to life and living. 



No comments:

Post a Comment